- Bushwalking Trip Plan | Routeburn Track, New Zealand | Pt 1
- Searching for Bushwalking Information on the Web | Search Engines and Social Bookmarking
- Bushwalking Trip Plan | Routeburn Track, New Zealand | Pt 2
High quality image files may be downloaded free of charge from Land Information NZ (LINZ) or paper copies purchased from map retailers.
- geoTIFF (138 MB) (no margins, suitable for mapping software, have calibration data embedded)
- TIFF (79 MB) ( full paper map including legend)
- Topo50 map legend (858KB) (Additional to the Topo50 GeoTIFF)
- Important Topo50 information
Routeburn Track Map download ( from Routeburn Track Independent Tramping Southland/Otago – 2010/2011 season - DOC)
Routeburn Track Route
Most trampers seem to do the walk in 3 days, with 2 nights in one of the DOC huts, but it would be feasible to do it in one day, if you were fit, travelling light and admiring the scenery was not a high priority.
|Time||2 - 3 days|
|From||Routeburn Shelter, head of Lake Wakatipu|
|To||The Divide, Milford Te Anau Road|
|Huts||4 Great Walks Huts, 2 Great Walks Campsites|
|Highest Point|| |
1277m, Harris Saddle
|Maps||Topo50 (LINZ) CB09, CB10; Topo250 25 (Source: Backcountry NZ)|
Detailed track notes are provided on the Backcountry NZ website
- Day 1: Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Falls.
- Day 2: Routeburn Falls to Lake McKenzie Via Harris Saddle.
- Day 3: Lake MacKenzie to Milford Road
|Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Flats|| |
2.5 hours (2)
|Flats to Routeburn Falls|| |
1.5 hrs (1)
|Routeburn Falls to Harris Saddle|| |
2 hrs (1.5)
|Harris Saddle to Lake McKensie|| |
3 hrs (3.5)
|Lake McKenzie to Lake Howden|| |
3 hrs ( 3.5)
|Lake Howden to Divide |
(Source: Backcountry NZ)
1 hr ( 1.5 hr)
I have added all my bookmarks to Delicious, the social bookmarking site, where you can see my Routeburn tagged bookmarks and those of others. Filter the bookmarks by tag eg "tracknotes", search by tagger's name eg "oz.bushwalkingskills", or select those that have been bookmarked often, which is usually an indication of their value.
- Routeburn Track Independent Tramping Southland/Otago – 2010/2011 season (DOC)
- Ultimate Hikes Equipment Checklist (pdf download)
- Ultimate Hikes Grandtraverse and Routeburn map (pdf download)
- New Zealand Routeburn Track Route Guide
- New Zealand Routeburn Track
- Kevin's Routeburn Track blog
- Backcountry New Zealand
This article by Bush Walker is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.